Monday, February 20, 2017
I'm really excited to join in on todays Blog Hop with The Blended Blog ladies! You are probably here from Abbie's Blog (which mean's I'm following the very witty lady with the great smile, and adorable kids - no pressure at all).
If you have followed me over the last year, you'll know I have recently lost a big chunk of weight (130lbs last weigh in) and even though food is a major part of that, the key is also to working out while getting the food part under control.
When I started my weight loss journey, a friend of mine at work Rainey casually said I wonder if you will replace your food addiction with working out instead. He probably doesn't even remember saying this is passing but I said 'I hope so' out loud and changed the conversation probably. In my head I thought, heck no - donuts for life and I will never want to squat on my own free will.
Flash forward 10 months and he was right. I'm addicted. So here's a peek of how I approach my workouts, while still seeing my husband from time to time, balancing work and 4 children.
1. Choose something you like to do, not that you have to do. Sounds basic right? Who wants to actually jump on spin bike???? not this girl, but some people love that, and those weird ass people should do it. not me. I had to find what I loved to do, and I really really hate cardio. When I was 320 pounds (yes, you read that correctly) i knew I couldn't run, my knees and joints couldn't handle it. So I tried a few videos, but really where I found my love of cardio was in Zumba. And I do it 2-3 times per week. I would do it every day if I could and would never complain. Except for squat songs. I love to hate those. If you are local to me, like music, and don't mind burning 600 ish calories, then come try Morgans Zumba Fitness. Seriously. She's a riot. You will have so much fun at her classes, I promise.
2. Everyone has a spare 30 minutes. Everyone. You may have to sacrifice one less episode on netflix or just go to bed a little later, or maybe just don't sweep the floor that night. Once the kids are in bed, find a video on youtube, or stream from Beachbody on Demand, or buy a workout DVD and do 30 minutes a day or something. Lose your excuses and just do it. From May last year until now I make the time. Sounds a little obsessive, I realize but I'm making my body a priority and love love the results I can see and how GREAT I feel all the time, and I'm way less sick than I used to be. Youtube has great free workouts if you search HIIT or even try the Fitness Marshall - SO FUN!
3. Make sure you also incorporate weights into your workouts. When I first started I picked up a few 10lb weights (and borrowed some alb weights from my sister) and used those while following the 21 day fix. It's important to build muscle and not only do cardio. I'm not a personal trainer so I'm not going to get into to the why's here, but do your research and read up on it.
My current workout routine:
1. Zumba 2-3 times per week - with Morgan
2. Weight training - 4-5 days per week (2-3 with Morgan, and 2 days of 21 day fix weight days)
3. I run/walk the track at work on my lunch hours
and for fun, here's a video of my sister and I doing a HIIT 20 from Turbo Fire last June vs Yesterday. It's good to video tape to see your progress!
A post shared by Carol-Anne (@carolannequart) on
Be sure to continue onto Leslie's blog to see what she has to say about Working Out. Also I'd love to hear what you guys are all doing for your work outs. Comment below!